Privacy & Cookies
In order to clarify the nature of the Website, it is important to state that www.themachinestarts.com is a non-commercial service.
- Information Collected
In operating this website the following data about you may be collected and processed:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on this website.
- Information provided when you communicate with the website owner for any reason.
On occasion, this website may gather information about your computer for the services and to provide statistical information regarding the use of this website in order to improve the quality of the service provided to users.
Such information will not identify you personally as it is statistical data about visitors and their use of the site. This statistical data does not identify any personal details whatsoever. It is used to analyse how visitors to www.themachinestarts.com interact with the Website (such as clicking on links, sharing content via social media and accessing multimedia content).
Provider Name Purpose More Info Disqus disqus_unique
Used by the Disqus service to enable commenting on articles. Disqus Policy datr
Facebook Social Plugin – embedding Facebook content Facebook Policy Google Analytics _utma
Statistical data about visitors to the website Google Policy pid
Twitter cookies which allow content from Twitter to be shown on website pages and pages to be shared on Twitter. Twitter Policy YouTube VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE Google Policies and Principles
- Use of Your Information
The information that is collected and stored relating to you is primarily used to enable the website owner to provide services to you. In addition, information may be used for the following purposes:
- To provide you with information you request, relating to this website's services.
- To meet contractual commitments to you.
- To notify you about any changes to this website, such as improvements or service/product changes, that may affect the service.
- Storing Your Personal Data
- Your data may be trasnferred to locations outside of the European Economic Area for processing and storing. Also, it may be processed by staff operating outside the European Economic Area who work for this website or for third-parties.
- The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and therefore I cannot guarantee the security of data sent to this website electronically and transmission of such data is therefore entirely at your own risk.
- Disclosing Your Information
Information you supply which does not fall under Clause 2 (above) will not be disclosed to subsidiaries or third parties without your consent.
- Third Party Links
You may find links to third party websites on this website. These websites should have their own privacy policies which you should check. I do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies whatsoever as I have no control over them.
- Changes to this Policy
Updates and changes may be made to this policy on occasion without warning. You consent by visiting www.themachinestarts.com that you are responsible for reviewing this policy yourself to ensure you are aware of its latest iterations.
- Terrified Together: The Online Cult of Slender Man
- How We Started Calling Visual Metaphors “Skeuomorphs” and Why the Debate over Apple’s Interface Design is a Mess
- "The Wheel of the Devil": On Vine, gifs and the power of the loop
- Facebook, the Projected Self and Narcissism
- Self-Sacrifice in the Age of the Gadget
- The Quality of Offline and Online Friendships
- Lucidending: Empathy, Online
- "a modern version of Dante's circles of hell"
2 hours ago.
- A thousand times yes. Retired IT manager catalogues ridiculous automated telephone call menu sequences: http://t.co/vlPdHrvGYB
2 hours ago.
- RT @iRowan: Not heard of Shinichi Mochizuki? He may be the mysterious creator of Bitcoin. (Then again, he may not be...) http://t.co/X9lu0d
7 hours ago.
Interfaces express not that a journey has been eliminated, but that a new one may be created.
Networking, in many senses, gives rise to a new perspective on the London Riots of 2011.
Does abstinence from the web ever last? Is it even a good idea?
Computer viruses are not just computer viruses. They spread in pathological as well as technological ways.